Use this storybook guide with the book “Mr. Noisy’s Book of Patterns.” Many public libraries have this book.
About the Story
Everywhere he goes, Mr. Noisy makes a lot of noise! When he walks, his shoes go click-click-clack, click-click-clack. When he drives, his car goes zoom-rattle-bang, zoom-rattle-bang. Even asleep, he makes a pattern: His snores go zzZZ-zzZZ. Children can delight in finding Mr. Noisy’s noisy patterns in the words and pictures in this simple story.
Words to Learn
patterns, zoom, rattle, bang
About the Math
This story is about repeating patterns. While listening and looking for the patterns on each page, children can learn that:
- Patterns repeat and if we listen to the sequence in the pattern, we can guess what comes next.
- We can make patterns out of different things, such as sounds, shapes, and colors. For example, not only does Mr. Noisy’s bike horn make a pattern with sounds, but the black and white sheep make a pattern in his dreams, as well.
- There are different types of patterns, such as ring-ring-honk-honk (AABB) and tip-tap-tap-tap (ABBB).
Math Talk During Reading
- NOTICE THE PATTERNS
What pattern did Mr. Noisy make on this page?
- GUESS WHAT COMES NEXT IN THE PATTERN
Listen to the pattern: click-click-clack, click-click-clack … What comes next?
- TRY TO COPY THE PATTERNS
Mr. Noisy’s car goes zoom-rattle-bang, zoom-rattle-bang. Let’s try to make that same pattern using colors. How many colors will we need?
- LOOK FOR THE HIDDEN PATTERNS ON THE PAGE
Mr. Noisy’s shoes go click-click-clack. Let’s try tp find that same pattern somewhere else on this page.
Try to come up with some of your own questions and comments, too!
Activity After Reading
- Try making your own noisy patterns!
Mr. Noisy’s bike horn goes ring-ring-honk-honk, ring-ring-honk-honk. Let’s make a noisy pattern just like his! We can go clap-clap-stomp-stomp.