In this video, a mother and her 6-year-old son, Mateo, have fun singing “La canción de los botones,” a Spanish song centered around counting 10 buttons. Watch Mateo and his mother practice counting from one to 10. Can you also see them engage in some interesting math thinking?
Here are some tips for singing counting songs with children:
- Count in chunks to help remember the sequence.
- Use hand gestures to show when you are referring to one thing or the whole group of things.
- Ask children to check at the end how many there are.
- Carefully touch each thing and then push it aside so it doesn’t get skipped or counted twice.
- Appreciate and encourage children’s strategies for solving math problems.
Find more ideas for using music and movement to grow young children’s math vocabulary and interest in this collection of math song guides.