Math is everywhere! Here are some ways to find it.
Notice the Math
In your daily conversations when you see or talk about:
- Adding and subtracting
- Numbers and counting
- Shapes, space, and location
Talk About the Math
Talking about math helps build children’s math vocabulary, which helps develop their mathematical thinking.
Model and Praise Problem-Solving
- Talk out loud to show how you solve a math problem. Say: “There’s one for you, one for me, and one for Ashley, so that’s three!”
- Focus on your children’s problem-solving instead of whether they are right or wrong.
- Offer specific praise for your children’s effort. Say: “You’re really figuring that out!”
To encourage deeper thinking, ask:
- How can we figure it out?
- What’s another way we can try?
- What do you notice?
- What’s the same? What’s different?
- How do you know?
- Tell me what you’re thinking!